July 23, 2013

A Mango Sprout!


Mango Seed

Did you know that you can plant a mango seed? I didn't, until a few weeks ago. 
I love Mangos and right now they are kind of my go to food. Mango's in salads, fruit salad, cooked up to go over chicken, mango gummies, the list goes on and on. So, a few weeks ago I started to wish I had my own Mango tree so that I didn't have to buy Mangos anymore.  I googled "How to grow a Mango Tree" and sure enough tons of videos popped up. I learned that all you have to do is separate the husk from the seed and then plant the seed. I'm not sure if the plant will actually ever bear fruit but I figured it's worth a shot!

 The other part of this story is that I planted the Mango seed as part of a Value Project for Personal Progress. Have faith the seed will grow, take care of it for at least ten hours and then harvest whatever you planted (I planted some herb seeds as well, in case the mango tree never grew). I have been in Young Women's for a while now and finally decided to crack down and start working on Personal Progress. Well, I planted the seed and a couple weeks went by and I started getting nervous that maybe I had planted it wrong or it died but then one day I went out to water and low and behold a little sprout had shot up. I couldn't believe it! Below are some pics of the little sprout.

Mango Tree

 I kind of think it looks like that character from star wars called Jar Jar or something, the one with the big ears.


My herbs are also growing....slowly...I don't remember them taking so long to grow last time. I can't wait to make Pesto with the basil, now I just need to figure out how to harvest pine nuts!

Growing Herbs

Remember a while back I posted about the plant our neighbor gave us? I thought for sure we were going to kill it when we moved it inside our house and planted it in a new pot. The old pot was actually prettier but had a huge crack down the side of it. The plant lost a few leaves but it finally bounced back with new leaves that are brighter and bigger than ever before. So happy we didn't kill Joy's 15 year old plant! 

philodendron



No comments: