July 10, 2013

Our Community Garden and the Chickens


About a month ago a friend told me about a community garden by our house that she volunteered at every week. I had heard about a "little garden at the middle school" but had always pictured it as just a little garden that the students worked on during the school year. I had no idea it was a huge garden that anyone could volunteer at, and that they had chickens, tons of plants,  flowers and fancy picnic tables made by the local boy scouts. The first time we went to the garden was for a class hosted by the public library about how to keep chickens in your back yard and before I knew it I had signed up to help with the chickens once a week. We figured it would be a good way to see if we really liked taking care of chickens or if it's just a personal fad.  

bees balm and sunflowers

Some of the flowers in the garden, Bee Balm, Sunflowers (that were already way taller than us), and some purple cone flowers. I would really like to get some Bee Balm in my yard someday because I think they are one of the prettiest flowers around. 

cutest chicken coop
 
The chicken coop and run, isn't it cute? On the days we take care of the chickens we just let them out into the run to eat and drink, we clean up their coop and collect whatever eggs have been laid. So far it has been a blast even though the first day it was pouring down rain the whole time we were there. 
I just kept telling myself  "I'm from Oregon, I'm from Oregon".

fresh eggs

Two of the eggs that were laid while we were there. They were still warm when I picked them up out of the box, we went straight home and cooked them up for a yummy breakfast. 


There were tons and tons of blackberries that were ripe so we picked a few and used them to make blackberry syrup for pancakes the next day. While we were picking berries we came across a little birds nest.

birds nest

So far Zara has really loved watching the chickens  and we have met some really great people that we normally wouldn't have run into otherwise.


watching the chickens 


1 comment:

Audrey said...

Looks way fun! Great pictures!