September 4, 2013

Our House: Yellow Door Makeover

painting yellow door inside

Remember this post from a while ago that inspired me to make our home more "ours"? Well, I finally finished my first project and can't believe what a difference a little bit of paint makes!

Now everything is white, clean and we have a bright yellow door. My Mother-in-law was here recently and helped me find that super cute grey and yellow rug from Target.

I have been wanting to paint the wainscoting and trim white for awhile now and the other weekend finally got around to it. I stopped worrying about silly stuff (how would it look with the old kitchen cabinets, do I need to use primer?, taping is sooo much work, blah blah blah, etc...) and just knocked it out, I even used paint that we already had lying around. It turned out to be easier and quicker than I thought, the hardest part was waiting for the first coat of paint to dry before painting the second coat.

Halfway through painting the trim I asked Dusty what he thought about about a yellow door and he thought that sounded fun so a few days later we ran to the depot and grabbed a little pint of yellow paint. The most time consuming part of the whole project was taping off all the little windows but I was so glad I did! Fortunately little miss Zara decided to nap really well that day and I was able to finish taping and painting in one day, yay!

So far we have really enjoyed it and every day I think to myself, "Why did we wait 2.5 years to paint this stuff?" It also made a huge difference when Dusty replaced all the old doorknobs a few weeks ago, yet another project that wasn't nearly as complicated as we thought it was going to be but has made such a huge difference!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I L-O-V-E the yellow door!!! I want one.

ba said...

I really like the yellow door, it brightens up the room and makes it look all new and crisp. Also, good luck on your pinning for a year. Sounds like a fun idea

Unknown said...

Your yellow door is very stunning! It gives life and energy to your interiors, and I'm sure it did the same effect in your exterior as well. Good job, Chelsea!

-Jesse Morrison @ Jon Wright Roofing

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

A simple door makeover created a new appeal to your entire interior. It added life and vibrancy to what was once dull and simple. Congrats, Chelsea!

-Sol Hendricks @ DiamondCompanies